Saturday, January 14, 2017

Whimsical Art Journal Spread & other projects using the same color palette

Hello shimmery friends! It's Zinia here today and I am so excited to share with you my very first project as a member of the Shimmerz Education team.

I had a hard time deciding what to share with you in this first post. I'm generally very enthusiastic with anything crafty so I love working on different things. So instead of focusing on a scrapbook layout or an art journal spread, I decided to do something different.


Let's start by picking a color palette. I chose a combination of blues and purples, with a hint of peach. My blues will be my focal point with the lovely Baby Boy Blue Paste-eez to add dimensional elements and the beautiful Sapphire Spritz. The purple shades can work beautifully as accents. The African Violet Aqua Huez is a really gorgeous bright color and the Berry-licious Shimmerz pain is perfect for shading. You may think that the Peachy Keen Coloringz doesn't fit well in this palette but it can create gorgeous neutral shades when you mix it with Sapphire and it can also be used to create skin tones if you are painting a portrait.


So I used this color selection to create a few different projects. Let's take a look at the card first.


I used all the colors to create a gradient wash going from blue to peach and then to purple. Just mixing the colors with some water and brushing it on the card. Then once that was dry, I added some splatters with the same colors to make it more playful. To finish the card I added my sentiment using the Paste-eez through a stencil and hand-lettering the rest with coordinating colors.


I also created an art journaling spread. I let the colors guide me on that. I started by spraying Peachy Keen and Sapphire on my pages, then I closed my book and let them blend. The result was some beautiful grey splashes that served as a starting point for my design. I also used some Paste-eez
through a stencil.


From there I just kept filling the gaps with different colors, allowing the page to lead the way. Once I was happy with the elements, I used a white paint marker and I outlined some of the shapes.

I kept adding highlights and shades until I was happy with the way it looked. You can watch the whole process along with some more details on the video here:


Last but not least, I also painted a portrait using the exact same products. 

To create a skin tone, I mixed some of the Peachy Keen coloringz with gesso to create a soft shade. I used the blues for the hair and my purples mainly for shading and some accents here and there.



You can really add a lot of depth and dimension to your pieces just with these few colors. They work beautifully on any type of project as long as you know how to use them each time ;) 

So thank you so much for joining me. I really hope you enjoyed taking a closer look on these projects. If you got inspired and you feel like trying this color palette or any other Shimmerz products make sure to mention my name "Zinia" at the comment section of your order to receive a FREE Shimmerz product of your choice!






1 comment:

Tatiana Klimshina said...

I love the result and the video! Thank you so much!